View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Apr 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Hi Matthew. I so so hope that your wife never threatens herself again, but want you to know that you should never feel responsible for "saving her". Or, if anything were to happen to her, it would be a tragedy, but the fault of the illness, surely not you. That is a major issue discussed in groups like Al-Anon in regards to alcoholics. It's pretty much the same thing for people with mental illness. Clearly your wife does need a different kind of therapist. You should consider encouraging a change. Exactly what kind of therapy, I couldn't be sure. I'm not a psychologist or a psychiatrist, and don't know your wife. Also, not all people with the same mental illness have the exact same therapeutic needs. We're not all the same. We don't all have the same history. We don't all have the same personalities or temperaments. Even though the people with bipolar disorder here share many symptoms, we don't share all. We have different courses to our illnesses. Some people are more on the depressive end and others more on the manic end. Some have more mixed features. Some are more prone to psychosis. Some have more elated manias. Some have more irritable manias. Some only have a few episodes in their lives. Some are more plagued by them.

It can sometimes take a while to find the right therapist. That's frustrating, but we sometimes have to keep trying and trying. Some have found the right one quickly, some have had to go through as many as 5 or even 10 to find the right fit. That's life.

Your wife has to put in some effort. She must. If she doesn't, that's sad, but that's what happens when a person gives up. You can't make her want to get well. You have to stop making excuses for her resistant behavior. Your response above is an excuse.

I meant well above, but have to say I'm now getting triggered by your continued posts to me. Do not respond to this, please. This is part of the reason that there is a Partners & Caregivers forum here at PC. I have a stressful afternoon ahead of me.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Apr 20, 2020 at 12:18 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote