View Single Post
here today
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM

I was never diagnosed with NPD, was diagnosed with PDNOS about 10 years ago. I believe I have/had a related condition, a focus on people-pleasing and ideals, may have had OCPD before I fell apart after my late husband died. With that qualification --

I believe the statement, common from psychologists and psychiatrists these days, that

Quote:
Narcissists cannot change, so the best thing to do is to leave and protect yourself.
should be viewed as a statement of those professionals' lack of knowledge, and/or ability, to help those individuals.

And, with that attitude, who among that profession are going to look for ways to help people deal with or overcome such deep-seated situations?

Unfortunately, they are also not interested in doing any researach with us which might help them, and the rest of society help people like narcissists (and me, but in another way) who cannot fully or really "engage" with other people and the rest of the world, in an interpersonal way.

I "worked very hard" for more than 50 years in and out of therapy, the last 5 on my own after the last therapist said that she "did not have the emotional resources to continue", with the help of another forum on PC and an in-person support group I lucked into. And I think I now have some clues. But nobody in the psychotherapy field that I have found is interested. . .

Yep -- just discard all the narcissists and others with similar conditions. That's their answer. They don't know what else to do. . .
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MsLady

Thanks for this!
Atypical_Disaster