MsLady
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2020
360 hugs
given
Default Apr 22, 2020 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by here today View Post

I believe the statement, common from psychologists and psychiatrists these days, that
should be viewed as a statement of those professionals' lack of knowledge, and/or ability, to help those individuals.

And, with that attitude, who among that profession are going to look for ways to help people deal with or overcome such deep-seated situations?

Yep -- just discard all the narcissists and others with similar conditions. That's their answer. They don't know what else to do. . .
I agree, 100%. I've read a lot of conflicting information about how to proceed. Most articles suggests to practice low-to-no contact. As much as I understand the need for this, I do believe the root for anyone with NDP is trauma of some kind. It's heartless to say, "Cut them out of your life!"

I have an adult child with special needs and he had some challenging behaviours growing up. In fact, I had contemplated suicide a few times along the way because I just didn't know how to help and I felt hopeless. But, he's my baby! I was a single parent. Who would take care of him? He'd feel abandoned and carry a lot of pain and blame for the rest of his life. So naturally, I stuck around.

I'm sorry if this article offended anyone. I was trying to focus on the "Objective Constancy" piece I found interesting.. and will say, I see it in myself, too. When my partner and I get into an argument, I often feel like it's the end of our relationship. The anxieties that come with it is intolerable.. so when we get past that point, the comfort becomes a tool of survival.

It wasn't the article I was hoping to post but I can't say the other one (I lost) would have been any better with what you've pointed out.
MsLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today