View Single Post
Victoria'smom
Legendary

Member Since Apr 2012
5,445 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 22, 2020 at 06:51 PM

She needs a therapist that she trusts. Not all therapists are just supportive. My fav. Therapist was a crises counselor in a former career. We spent most of the time going back and forth about trusting Mental Health Professionals and taking medication. She knew up front I was terrified of hospitalization and was reminded weekly of it. She went through a lot with me. NEVER hospitalizing me. She never promised not to hospitalize me just that if I was ever hospitalized she'd fight for me. Your wife needs a therapist who is not scared to fight for her. The only way she will find a therapist like this is being honest right from the get go. Write down her worst symptoms, that she's non-compliant and terrified of hospitalization Then hand it to potential therapist.

I'm not always med complaint. I have a signed agreed upon list of extreme behaviors that If I do X I HAVE to take emergency medication until a psychiatrist can get me in for an emergency appointment. If I refuse medication at that time I will be hospitalized until stable. My agreement with my psychiatrist is she will get me in as soon as possible if needed. I'm "on" fast acting disovable medications and weekly therapy.

She needs a team she can work with, honestly. You have to remember you are NOT her punching bag, therapist, warden, dr. You ARE there to love and support her and direct her Dr's when needed. My Husband has permission to talk to my treatment team. If you can sit down and make a list with her of symptoms and send it to her dr. In an emergency that is not life threatening urgent care has been wonderful to me. My husband is NOT in any discussion of hospitalization. If a conversation turns to that he is asked to leave so I can not blame him for my hospitalization.

Also you may want to start therapy for yourself and couples therapy. Also if you do have kids make sure they are in therapy.

Daughter- mood disorder+

Comfortable broken and happy

"So I don't know why I'm tongue tied At the wrong time when I need this."- P!nk
My blog
Victoria'smom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote