View Single Post
Fury

Member Since Oct 2009
3 hugs
given
Default Apr 28, 2020 at 06:24 AM

Here's what you can do:

1. Look into Federal grants available to you as a backup financing option that you won't have to pay back

2. Look into local colleges and apply for general studies as a major so you don't have to commit to anything immediately. Getting accepted into a college is the first step to getting mom to back down

3. Instead of worrying about taking a bunch of classes at once, study for CLEP tests. You can study at your own pace, and take the test at the college for about $80 (vs $3000 per semester for 4 classes) and use the clep tests to substitute the basics of college credit (first years English, math, science, etc). It saves money, let's you study when you have time, and still gains you college credits without taking you away from what you love.

CLEP – Get College Credit With What You Already Know – The College Board

If you bring this idea to your mother, she might think more highly of you and not push you as hard.

While you're getting to know the college, ask an advisor for the best degree for what you love to do. An AS degree is only 2 years, and it's a "straight to work" degree instead of a traditional "pathway to bachelor's" AA degree. And you can knock out most of it with CLEP.

Show your mom that you don't need her to push you in order for you to succeed.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Fury is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
princesscookie19

Thanks for this!
winter4me