Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 29, 2020 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLady View Post
I was talking with my partner today about how I felt he's been so hypersensitive to my feedback to the point he's reacting with unfair comments against me and in front of our daughters:

"You're being mean"
"You're a hypocrite" .. "You're being a hypocrite"
"You're putting me down"
"Ok, Boss" .. "You're the Boss"
"Tell me exactly what you want me to do"
"What do you want me to do?"
"Lets have it your way"
"You're controlling"
ETC.....

. . ..
This sounds to me like information, from his perspective at least. Are you primarily interested in where he may be coming from? Or something else?

It also sounds as if you were trying to talk to him about something you were interested in -- how you felt -- and that was not a topic he was interested in, at that moment at least. Also, from his comments, it would appear that he wasn't feeling too great about what you were saying, even if that wasn't in the content of his replies.

Why are you trying to engage him in conversations about how you feel, when you have already (mentally) labeled him with NPD? Maybe he has it, or maybe he doesn't, but responding defensively isn't limited to people with NPD. Perhaps the two of you could come to an agreement about how you would like to talk about such things in the future? Have you considered couples counseling?
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
MsLady