View Single Post
MsLady
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2020
360 hugs
given
Default Apr 29, 2020 at 07:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. It definitely sounds like you're all needing a lot of support. I really feel for all of you and your mom.

There needs to be a Safety Plan in place. I'm thinking when she's in escalation mode, the best thing to do is STAY OUT OF HER WAY. Being hands on with her will increase the problem and hurt everyone in the process. Come up with a designated room with a lock and have a cell phone available.. perhaps use a code word when it's time to act on it. If she trashes the house, so be it. If she's being unsafe, call 911. If you need to go outside to be safe, do so.

When she's at baseline, there needs to be a family meeting to discuss a course of action. Be supportive and choose a date that's away from her PMDD. Alcohol needs to be addressed and eliminated from the house, as well.

I also think dad needs to frontload this to her, first, maybe via text, to see if she's even willing to have such meeting to come up with a plan. She needs to hold herself accountable and not use her illnesses to abuse. Your sister and yourself are minors so I wouldn't want you holding yourself responsible for her care. At the same time, you need to advocate for yourselves and help & understand what the Safety Plan will look like.

A family counselor will help create something with you and naybe even attend the family meeting, too.

I'll be honest, if this behaviour continues, it's best that your mom seeks treatment outside of the home (and not live there). I'm sure she's a wonderful person and her behaviours are dangerous. One day she may throw the wrong item in the wrong direction and seriously hurt someone.

Please get help!
MsLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote