View Single Post
fern46
Grand Magnate

Member Since Mar 2019
4,300 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 01, 2020 at 11:09 AM

What do the meds offer you? I think it is important to give them plenty of time to work (months in many cases and sometimes you need to try a few) and see what the benefits are. If you are hearing voices, wanting to self harm, fearful of others, unable to concentrate, not sleeping, not eating etc. and the meds help with any or all of that, then why not take them? If you take them irregularly you cannot answer the question properly.

Another question to ask is what negative effects are you trying to avoid by not taking meds? If you can be clear about those then your doctor can search for a mix that minimizes or eliminates those effects.

You can deal with symptoms on or off meds. Sometimes it is best to deal with them when you're not having them. Getting some separation offers a chance for perspective. It gives you time to prepare a strategy to use if and when the symptoms occur.

I like what your old pdoc said. If a provider knows the way for the meds to be effective is for you to take them regularly and you don't or tinker with the doses on your own, you're creating your own problems. If he deems that abuse, I can see that position.
fern46 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote