View Single Post
Delvere

Member Since Dec 2017
Default May 03, 2020 at 04:33 PM

Hello!
I am about to graduate university. All courses finished, all exams passed. The only thing left is master's thesis. And I am stuck with it! Already for few years!
I have already made my research for the thesis, everything I should do is just sit down and write! But I feel like I have hit glass wall, which I can't pass, and my hands refuse to write! I just stare at the computer screen and then I switch over to internet news, twitter etc. I procastinate instead of doing my work.
I had similar problems with bachelor thesis too, which actually took 10 years!

In general, I cope well with courses and exams, basically anything what is well supervised and has clear structure. But thesis writing is different process and I don't know why it creates such difficulties for me!

I don't know the exact reason for my problems with thesis writing, but I suspect it could something to do with my experiences in school. I was bullied (because of my looks) and also often beaten up (sometimes by up to 5 guys! And yes, I am female). I often didn't go to school, didn't want to do any homework... I actually hated everything that associated with the school! But ironically, I have been interested in science since childhood. I went to libraries when I didn't go to school. I made my own "excel" tables drawn on paper and pen, where I compared different parameters.

Because I wasn't stupid I didn't drop out of school and was able to graduate. I realised that science is my passion, so I went further to university. In general I coped with studies quite well, but I was in the beginning struggling with the homework part. Because I was used in ignoring homeworks. Sometimes I also didn't study for exams, because it was also something I was used to. My grades suffered. Normally in school I didn't care too much about grades, just took sure that they weren't too low beyond pass. And I also sometimes falsificated papers about grades in school, so that parents wouldn't worry too much. But in university I realised this is not an option. I realised that university is in my own interests. And also bullying stopped, I didn't encounter it anymore. So I started to discipline myself. Few years later I was the best student in my course! But then thesis writing came and I felt like it's like a homework, but without real instructions. And I got stuck with it for 10 years! And now the same with master's thesis!
I did finish bachelor's thesis though, when I got to know that I got conditional placement in master's programme.

What the heck is going on? My hands just refuse to write thesis? Why? When I am just about to write thesis my stomach starts to churn, I start to feel so stressed that I usually go to internet or go to eat to calm myself!

What is that thing that messes me up? Did I get PTSD because of constant bullying in school? Or is it something else?
Delvere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
KD1980, Travelinglady, WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
Skeezyks, WastingAsparagus