View Single Post
Delvere

Member Since Dec 2017
Default May 03, 2020 at 09:35 PM

It's hard to explain feelings which I encounter, when I try to write thesis. It's not about "deserving" or worrying about graduation as such (and getting job afterwards). And I don't doubt myself to such a degree that I wouldn't do something. Actually I've been lucky in one aspect - my parents have always believed in my skills. Even when I failed. It sure raises self-esteem by few points up.
I feel something like rage or anger when I have to write thesis. Like, why the hell nobody helps me, why am I abandoned etc. I know it's not entirely true, but I can't help my feelings.
My parents didn't believe at a time that I had so bad bullying in school, they thought it's nothing serious. So I stopped telling them about that. And started lying. I didn't get help I needed. I felt abandoned and betrayed. Now my parents have already apologised to me, they said that they didn't get the seriousness of situation then.

I have contacted advidor, supervisor etc. But they seem not to understand. I feel the need that they would really and truly supervise me, literally stand behind my back and watch me writing the thesis! And shout angrily, if I don't do something. At least I wouldn't feel lonely with my work. I guess it's all mostly about abandonment issues.
To make things more complicated, my mother is actually a researcher. Only she works in humanitarian field (linguistics, anthropology etc.), but I am in STEM field! So she can't really help me in my topic. Although she does roughly understand what I have to do. She has been offering me to switch sides and go to humanitarian field, social sciences. I tried, helped her in some project, and realised, hell no, that's not for me! I actually hated with passion work involving transcription and translation! But that's exactly what my mother is often doing!
So I stick with the STEM field and I want to get MsC degree.
Well, I am not totally abandoned yet I feel like abandoned...Sometimes I wonder why does it matter to me? But I can't ignore my feelings.

I guess I've been influenced also from my husband, who can't finish university at all (he is stuck with bachelor's degree). He suffers from depression. And he is that classical example of being afraid to finish and disbelief in oneself etc. And I am not like that. But surely my husband's example doesn't help me one bit. Sometimes I wonder whether it's also because of him I can't finish my studies. Sometimes I feel like he drags me down.
Delvere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
KD1980, Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
WastingAsparagus