Legendary

Member Since Sep 2019
40.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 10, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum220 View Post
I am glad that you have decided on a dog. Do you now feel emotionally stable enough to look after a dog. I am referring back to your first post. Do you live in a place that has out doors for a dog to be? A friend of mine adopted two different puppies many month apart. She tried this twice but and had to give each dog up. She basically has no back yard. It is a big thing for you to commit to.

If you think that you can do this then kudos to you and I wish you well in your quest to find a Vizslar.
Thanks possum for the question and remarks. I think I am able to do it, yes. The idea here is that the dog and the training, particularly, will hopefully actually decrease symptoms. My pdoc is behind me. Now, I do have a plan, should it turn out that I cannot do this, just so you know. I have a very workable relationship with my ex, who also currently has 1 of these dogs. Actually, it is our 12 y.o. daughter's dog right now.

Anyway, if I become overwhelmed, Jenn and my child will take the dog and adopt him or her. So, I feel safe about the approach fo rthe dog and for the patient.

As you may know, I was in the state hospital for 5 years somewhat recently. There is a lab there named Jemma. Jemma's owner did a small study and found that hospital patiients who spent an hour a week or more with Jemma saw a 50% reduction in their need for prn benzos while they had contact with this special dog. I am hoping the same thing happens with this dog of mine.\\I will certainly keep this thread posted, even if I turn out not to be able to do it.

Hugs from:
lizardlady, possum220

Thanks for this!
Sometimes psychotic