View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile May 17, 2020 at 03:30 PM

Hello lovelyxoxo: I see this is your first post here on PC. Welcome to Psych Central.

You concluded your post by writing: "it's actually really nice to talk about this whole situation..." I can really relate to that. I'm an older person who has struggled with my gender identity my entire life. And I kept it a closely guarded secret for many decades. I did, just a few years ago, spend some time talking with a gender therapist. And finally having the opportunity to talk about things I had kept secret for so many years was really comforting. Unfortunately I didn't stick with it. (That's another whole story.) But while I was involved with it, it was great!

Quite honestly I can't tell you what your sexual orientation is. The one thing I know, both about gender identity dysphoria as well as sexual orientation, is that both of these types of concerns can be endlessly confusing. (At least it has been for me.) It seems to me you have two choices. One is to find, & work with, a mental health therapist who is experienced in working with individuals who have sexual orientation concerns. The other is to just live your life day-to-day & see how things develop. Perhaps the answers as to whether you are bi-sexual, gay or straight, (or some other label) will simply become clear on their own. My personal preference would be to work with a therapist if you can. Just "letting things roll & seeing what happens" might, potentially, lead you down some unfortunate avenues I would fear. But, then, that's just me.

You wrote: "if I'm honest, I don't think I'm capable of romantic relationships." Do you think it is possible you are asexual? There's a forum website on the internet dedicated to the subject of asexuality. Here's a link just in case you're interested:

The Asexual Visibility and Education Network | asexuality.org

Thanks for the opportunity to reply to your post. I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote