View Single Post
Bookworm257

Member Since Jun 2017
16 hugs
given
Question May 19, 2020 at 11:03 PM

I think I might be a narcissist, but I'm not sure. I don't know if it's something I should discuss with my therapist or not.

I hardly ever apologize and always see things as "I'm the victim, I'm right, and you're attacking me, you're wrong." I lie about things I do and I feel guilty about them but my strong discomfort with admitting I was wrong nearly always overpowers any guilt. I'm admitting my bad things on here but only because this is anonymous and people on here don't actually know me.

I do have empathy, but it definitely wasn't always that way. I have trained myself to see things from others' perspectives and to have concerned feelings for those in pain or trouble but only recently has this really been a thing for me. Before I would care about people who were suffering only out of obligation or "I'm supposed to/told to" or "I don;t want people to think I am a bad person who doesn't care" and not out of actually feeling bad.

I can be lazy and irresponsible. I used to lie all the time about doing homework, and it would be a struggle to get me to participate in class at times. I procrastinate constantly out of laziness and sometimes don't do household chores.

I cannot take criticism. I get defensive, upset, and internally crumble. People say they were trying to help or were jsut concerned, but to me everything is criticism. Only veeeery recently did I become self-aware of this one, but I still do it all the time. I now realize that sometimes people are just concerned or trying to help, but for 99% of my life it was like I had something in my brain blocking me completely from seeing that in any way.

Now that I am working on my empathy I realize I don't want to hurt other people with my behavior and want to change it, but what do you think?
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote