View Single Post
BipolaRNurse
Neurodivergent

Member Since Mar 2012
3,864 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 21, 2020 at 02:45 AM

How much of the stool softener are you taking? It usually comes in 100 mg and 250 mg doses. It's OK to take the higher dose if the 100 isn't doing the job.

As someone who has worked in multiple nursing homes, I have a trick that is all but guaranteed to work. It's called the Hot Slider. Because it tastes so lousy, I only use it when I'm so stopped up that it's utter agony to try to poop. You take six ounces of prune juice, an ounce of Milk of Magnesia and two pats butter and stir it up in a glass. Zap it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds, stir again and drink it quick. Then wait for the explosive results!

I'll never forget an elderly lady I was taking care of who hadn't pooped in TEN DAYS. Needless to say she was in misery, so I gave her a Hot Slider and WOW! did we get results. It only took about an hour to bust it loose. Lots of cramping, but we both thought the relief was worth a little discomfort. I can only think of two times it didn't work, and with both of those I had to do a digital extraction. (That's a procedure that neither nurse nor patient enjoys, but sometimes it just has to be done.)

Of course, the best cure for constipation is not to get that way in the first place, but some people, like the OP and me, do everything right and still get bound up. That's where medications like Linzess come in, but that's up to your doctor. As to whether or not antipsychotics lead to constipation, it's a commonly-mentioned side effect. For me, I think it's more related to aging and the fact that I have irritable bowel syndrome. Sometimes I even go the other way and have diarrhea for a day or two. (I know, TMI) But as I've gotten into my 60s I have more problems with everything---not only my GI tract, but my joints, my back, even my poor outraged kidneys which are functioning at only 40%. Oh well, it could be worse!

Mild cognitive impairment

RX:
Celexa 20 mg
Gabapentin 1200 mg
Geodon 40 mg AM, 60 mg PM
Klonopin 0.5 mg PRN
Lamictal 500 mg
Levothyroxine 125 mcg (rx'd for depression)
Trazodone 150 mg
Zyprexa 7.5 mg

Please come visit me @ http://bpnurse.com
BipolaRNurse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, unaluna

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, unaluna