View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile May 24, 2020 at 04:16 PM

Hello Do I have a problem: I see this is your first post here on PC. Welcome to Psych Central. The Psychotherapy forum, here on PC, is one that may be of interest to you. Here's a link:

https://psychcentralforums.com/psychotherapy/

You asked how to decide if you need therapy. You have a general feeling you could use some help. But you don't know if what you're experiencing would be considered a treatable condition. My personal, non-professional perspective with regard to this would be that seeing a therapist might just be an excellent way to figure this out.

One doesn't have to have a specific condition, or diagnosis, one can point to to make seeing a therapist a worthwhile effort. Perhaps seeing a therapist will come to something, perhaps not. But it's certainly worth a try in my estimation. Do keep in mind, though, that not every therapist works well with every client. Sometimes you have to try a few before you find the right one for you. So if the first therapist you see doesn't seem a good fit don't give up. Try others.

Here are links to 5 articles, from Psych Central's archives: 2 on the subject of knowing when it's time to see a therapist, 1 on how to choose the right therapist, 1 that discusses the first therapy appointment, & 1 on the subject of on-line therapy (there are loads more articles in the archives on these & related subjects):

5 Sure Signs It's Time to See a Therapist

How Do You Know if You Need Therapy? – ADHD in Focus

How to Choose a Therapist and Other Questions about Psychotherapy

Your First Psychotherapy Session

https://psychcentral.com/blog/is-now...nline-therapy/

I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Iloivar