View Single Post
SarahSweden
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
219 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 31, 2020 at 09:30 AM

Thanks. Yes, it´s like you describe; she lacks a deeper understanding about my issues. There´s a kind of connection between us as I like her as a person but as she isn´t a therapist we don´t have that therapeutic connection.

My counselor has worked within psychiatry for more than 30 years but not with counselling. It´s a bit like the mental health phone line you describe, that she can listen but not do so much more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissUdy View Post
It does seem a strange and awkward situation. It sounds a little bit like when I was seeing a counsellor in university, she was quite open about herself and we talked about some of my issues but it always felt very surface level, is that how it feels with her? Do you feel like you are missing a deeper connection with her?

It may be that she isn’t trained so not allowed to talk about your deeper issues and how they could be worked through. I volunteered with a mental health phone line a while ago and we were trained to listen and mirror what people told us, but we weren’t allowed to give advice or discuss diagnoses and things reserved for professionals. It was quite frustrating when the people calling clearly needed more help than we could provide.
SarahSweden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MissUdy

Thanks for this!
MissUdy