Thread: TMJ
View Single Post
EmeraldMonster

Member Since Feb 2020
32 hugs
given
Arrow Jun 01, 2020 at 01:13 AM

Hi zapatoes, I totally understand your pain, I am a long term sufferer of TMJ and hubby gets severe facial pain due to sinuses. The pain is also in his face and TMJ joint. I have been to many dental appointments regarding this issue and due to coronavirus, treatment has been postponed. My TMJ is caused by severe anxiety and years of clenching my jaw and teeth grinding. I don't think it helped when my dad smashed my head into the dining table years ago and coincidentally broke my tooth!
Anyway, I am supposed to be seeing a maxillofacial consultant when all is back to normal again, but the journey is far. I am anxious in the car too. I will have to get treatment nearer to me I think, or just put up with it forever (controlling the pain myself). Heat packs are good and even putting your warm tea mug on the tender parts of your face helps.
I can imagine the pain you go thru daily and it can make you depressed and frustrated. I have had acupuncture and botulinum injections in my face and neck (botox, strictly for medical reasons). This did help, but I didn't want to permanently damage muscles in my face, so I stopped this.
A dental consultant may suggest an antidepressant such as Amitriptyline. I am however, on much meds already for various ailments and I have a mouth splint for night time.
When I am in severe pain or experiencing 'clicking of my jaw', I try to eat easy foods such as rice, soup and porridge until the symptoms subside. I have to jazz these up with favourite fruits or veg! Mostly I have been told to relax and attend CBT therapy for my ongoing, but debilitating anxiety.
I have a lot of big teeth in my mouth, this may not help either!
I hope this has been of some help to you. Best wishes and keep us posted on any new developments in your treatment. x

'Imagine all the people, Living life in peace' - John Lennon
EmeraldMonster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote