View Single Post
mattdadd

Member Since Apr 2017
2 hugs
given
Default Jun 02, 2020 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaven0137 View Post
I'm so sorry you're going through that. I can imagine it could be debilitating at times and it sounds like you're self conscious about it. It's difficult to say if it's emotional immaturity without knowing more. You mentioned you were an adult, but at 18 that might be more age appropriate. Just as a guess, it does sound like you may be very sensitive to comments or actions by others, which is not necessarily immature in and of itself. Has this issue been improving or getting worse or staying the same over time? You might be headed in the right direction and it could just be a long process.

I think of immaturity more like what I experienced with a friend of mine, whom I've commented about. He is well into his 20's but is entirely dependent upon others for his financial, emotional and physical well being. His manner, behavior, and emotional expression are more appropriate for someone around 14 or 15 years of age. Being around him was like being back in junior high and I half expected him to yank my ponytail as a juvenile way of getting my attention. Being overly sensitive was part of his issue, but it was one of many. His emotional expressions were surely not age appropriate.

It sounds like you want to have more of a sense of "emotional toughness", if I'm using the right term. It's possible that you could benefit from seeing a counselor who could have some ideas about how to improve your sensitivity. I absolutely wish you a good journey in this and hope you find what you seek.
I think the issue has stayed about the same over the years. I'm currently reliant on others for everything, including finances. And it's not a big deal yet since I'm on a break between high school and college; however, it's extremely difficult for me to see myself getting a job in the future, and that's a problem. I haven't even applied for college yet (partly because of COVID).

Also, I noticed an obvious difference in the way I'm treated by my parents compared to my younger sister. Despite me being an adult, my parents baby me. They do most things for me and talk to me the same way they did before I even hit puberty. Not to mention, they tell my little sister to look after me (make me food, wake me up, play with me, etc).

I'm already seeing a therapist, but I'll ask them about ways I can become less sensitive, so thank you for the suggestion.
mattdadd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote