Legendary

Member Since Sep 2019
40.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 02, 2020 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern46 View Post
Before you send the email, try to visualize fully that you are the recipient. Assume they arent just jerks for no reason, but that their life circumstances led them to the place they are in. Imagine the possibility that they have also been mistreated in life or never had the opportunities you've had to learn empathy as you have. Imagine that they have an open heart and then think about the words that are needed to reach them. Then write that email instead of an angry one.

When you send anger, it is a repelling force. I believe what you are after is change and that requires a different tactic in most cases. Focus on your end goal. Write it down. Be clear about that and reread your messages before you send then to ensure they will get you closer to your goal.

Slowing yourself down is a great idea, but it does not address the root cause of the issue. I think finding a way to integrate and process rhe anger and then find a way to effectively communicate the essence of your concern is key. Maybe write your angry email by hand on paper first to give you a processing outlet for your feelings. Then transform it to the email you'd need to read to change your mind if you were the other person. Transform it with the golden rule.

I feel your struggle today. I am processing a lot of anger myself. My father has coronavirus. He got it at work after the owner of his company forced everyone to come back to work and failed to implement any strategy to keep them safe. My father was very productive from home. He collaborated and landed lots of revenue for the company despite the pandemic. There is no need for him to be in the office physically.

Several people in his office have the virus. The owner has made zero attempt to check on any of them. My dad is actively experiencing symptoms, and he got a call yesterday telling him they sanitized the office and it is safe to come back. WHAT??!?!?! He declined.

They have zero clue who is a carrier at this point. The office became tainted again as soon as the doors were opened yesterday. The actions are irresponsible and inhumane in my opinion. They demonstrate the owner values money over human life and the wellbeing of the community he relies upon for profit.

My Dad is over 65 and he is handling it well. I am so very grateful. He is ill and struggling with fever and heaviness in his chest, but he is not in need of medical assistance right now. The reality is this could have killed him, his coworkers and their loved ones. They are spreading the virus. All because the owner is 'old school' and doesn't trust work from home. He prefers to keep his eye on things.

I am furious. I have imagined the other ways this could have played out and it makes me sick. I am thinking of contacting the owner, but I know throwing insults and anger will not help. I keep going back to 'he is my equal' and 'what can I say to reach his heart'?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to help my Dad see working for someone who shows no concern for the lives of his employees is a bad move. He is a year away from retirement.... Tricky.

I realized this morning that maybe the route to take here is to offer the owner my service. I am thinking maybe I can research protocols and technology options that can keep my Dad and his coworkers safe in the future. I wanted to smack the guy, but I think it might be more effective to lend a hand instead of my judgment. I'm still so pissed though...

Anyway, sorry to unload that here. I feel a little better though. I just wanted you to know that I'm trying very hard right now not to have any angry exchanges. I think there is a way to change through their hearts. We just have to find the right path.
Oh, fern, like some others here on PC, you are one of my heroes. Always seeking a positive way and course through the soup. Good for you and for us.

Not sure where you are, but here, I think there are laws currently on the books prohibiting the kind of clueles reckelessness displayed by your dad's boss. So sorry about that. Will add him to my prayer list tonight...

Yes, I do normally carefull consider every single word, historically. But it went out the window the other day. Will try to redouble efforts to be more cautious in thinking of the party to whom I am sending the note. Thank you.