FluffyDinosaur
Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2019
31 hugs
given
Default Jun 03, 2020 at 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post

A month ago I would have disagreed. I was watching everything about COVID on the news media and believing it wholeheartedly.

Now, with the (horrible) situation following the murder of George Floyd, the media never mentions COVID. It seems to be "yesterday's news." So...is it really as pervasive as we thought it was, or is it just a case of media bandwagon? Is it really worth the loss of medical care, including mental health care?

Last week I had surgery on my achilles tendon. It seemed to me that the main focus of the hospital was on COVID. I felt like screaming, I'm having surgery on my leg, I don't have COVID!

There are other medical conditions besides that virus, and those health problems seem to be ignored at this time by medical professionals.

As for the lapse in mental health...potentially disastrous.

Yes, I agree completely. If there's anything I've learned from this whole ordeal (as far as I didn't already know it), it's that the media are sensationalist. COVID-19 is a virus that, in most people, will just cause flu-like symptoms. Sure, it's dangerous for immunocompromised people, elderly people, and so on, and yes, we need to be careful to control the spread of the virus because we need to prevent hospitals from getting overwhelmed. But it is definitely not in the league of the Black Death and I think the excessive focus on COVID-19 while forgetting everything else has been a huge mistake. I would not be surprised at all if the collateral damage, especially in the long run, turns out to be much worse than the "cure."

Healthy people have a negligible chance of dying from COVID-19. Occasionally it does happen, as with any statistical improbability, and the media immediately jump on those cases and make it seem like everyone is about to die. And yet, healthy people die from the flu every year, and you never hear about that. In my opinion the media has been extremely irresponsible and they're at least partly to blame for all the damage caused by the overreaction, including (mental) health damage, economic damage, societal damage, and much more. They had a responsibility to present unbiased numbers and facts, not focus on the most scary corner cases and act like that's the norm. At this point I'm left without any faith in society, politics, the media, and people's ability to behave rationally and sensibly. It's giving me so much anxiety because I feel like there's no treatment, no solid ground that I can rely on.
FluffyDinosaur is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote