View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 04, 2020 at 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=FluffyDinosaur;6854432]@BethRags and @BirdDancer: Thank you both! It's true that I've found all the meds pretty overwhelming. To me it's scary every time I start a new med or adjust the dosage, not knowing what side effects I'll get and whether it will cause any long-term damage. I still have this hope that once I've stabilized I'll be able to function without meds again, but even if that's not possible I do want to keep meds to a minimum.

That's a realistic goal, I think (keeping meds to a minimum). The more quickly you get stable, and stay stable for some time, the sooner you can minimize the number/amount of meds your on.

That said, I agree that the current med combo doesn't seem to be doing enough to really get me stable, it's only taking out symptoms here and there. @BethRags: I have heard Lamictal mentioned before by others, including @BirdDancer, and it sounds like a promising option. My Pdoc has also mentioned it. I think if I change anything that's probably the one I'll give a try first. The downside is the long buildup period but I guess I could do that alongside my current meds if need be. I wish there were some meds that work well that I can take only "when needed" instead of having to commit in the long term.

I don't know why, but I refused Lamictal for a couple of years before I finally agreed to it. Turned out it is an excellent medication. It's helpful to treat symptoms and it has no side effects that I have noticed. The most difficult part is, as you've posted, the build-up period. That does take some patience, although the time goes by so quickly. Also, at least for me, there was already noticeable benefit at 50mgs.

I hear you on the "as needed" wish. Lamictal is not one of those, but there are some, you know? Even most of the AP's can be taken as needed, to some extent.

As I understand it, the goal is to become stable and remain stable for some time. Once that point is reached there are so many med options to use.

I actually did ask my therapist how she was coping with the isolation. She said she was okay with it, but that not having face-to-face contact was highly undesirable for the therapeutic process (couldn't agree more on that).

I am so glad you spoke with her about it! I have a video appointment with my therapist this afternoon and I absolutely have to work something out with her so I don't feel as upset and generally messed up as I do feel. Thanks for sharing your experience...it gives me courage.

I didn't get the sense that she was losing a lot of patients, but then again I think most of her other patients have only "mild" issues and are stable enough to cope with the situation or even postpone their treatment for a few months if need be. For people with serious issues the situation is a lot different I think.

Okay, yes! I strongly believe you have hit on the main point of why you and I and many of us with mental illness are struggling with teletherapy. I know that the level of therapeutic care I need is higher (maybe even much higher) than what is needed by someone who does not have a mental illness and trauma history.

I'll bet there are loads of clients who don't feel like teletherapy is that big a deal - or who even prefer it because they don't have to leave home, etc. And many of those are probably okay with taking a break from therapy, whereas for us a break can be potentially dangerous because of being tossed into a state of instability.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote