Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 09, 2020 at 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainrain View Post
I edit general copy and academic papers now and it's been a tough ride thanks to the pandemic. Payment schedules have gone for a toss: I used to get paid every 40 days, but now it takes as long as 55 days. I don't want to torment those in payroll too much coz I know they're doing their best. But I cannot stand project managers who expect unusually quick turn around times. They say editors aren't going out anymore, what else do we gotta do?! Yet, the pay is not acc. to any schedule. I mainly edit Humanities papers, and of late I've been tasked with editing a whole series on "limits of multivariable functions," which is way outta my comfort zone, let alone expertise. I was told I only had to proofread for basic errors when I was coerced into taking it up, but I also ended up doing a more substantive edit. My PM sent me this account on multivariable limits to make it "easier" for me. But when I asked for a deadline extension--since I have to supposedly read this and then attempt an edit--I was denied it. He said, "well there's videos on the material; you can listen as you do other tasks"!

I did two chapters and abandoned the project. Just not worth the effort and hassle. He also sent me more material to read. Phew! So glad I got myself outta that project.
Part of my work includes medical writing. And I had started initially in humanities related subjects, and yes, the transition is a challenge. If you're less mathematically inclined, I can see it would be even more challenging (not sure if that's true for you).

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
mainrain