View Single Post
Anonymous45521

Default Jun 09, 2020 at 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainrain View Post
That said, I live very close to work, a 15-minute walk, and it still wasn't enough to relish the prospect of meeting the day and so many ppl. I thought working from home would be a good alternative, but people are insisting on having our cameras turned on at all times during SCRUMs and other daily meetings. Draconian and excessive. Since we're working from home, employers only have legit claim on a certain amount of our time. They cannot regulate--much less demand--how we work from home as long as the work gets done.
That does seem excessive. Something interesting is that I do think where my managers are they have realized that the work is getting done, unabated....we had a recent zoom call where the top boss said as much and said that he didn't think we would be able to pull it off... but we have. I think managers don't like that the roles seem to have switched... we are enjoying a perk they got before and now they have to support us.

We have a person who's whole job is to cover for us when we are out. We got an email the other day that this person now had nothing to do because none of us were taking leave and so we could give him our excess work. I mean that says it all as to the extra work they are getting from us at home.

I had a doctors appointment yesterday (by video) and it took 30 minutes. Compare, I would be out the entire day normally because I would have to drive there - and then I wouldn't want to lug into work for 4 hours so I would take leave. Now... hardly a blip.

They just installed a web cam on my bosses desk top and I will be getting one soon. This means, even if I am at work, we can continue to do things by video cam. Which is flat out amazing. 99% of the difficulties in my job is getting people to come in for meetings. If now we could have a meeting like that.. there would be no excuses for things not to happen on time.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
mainrain