View Single Post
Cookiecrush
Cookiecrush has no updates.

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Default Jun 14, 2020 at 05:35 PM

I have SPD (sensory perception disorder) for me most of my triggers are auditory although when I was a kid it was also kinaesthetic. My mom made some homemade therapies for me. Working with animals, art programs, etc for the kinaesthetic. The auditory was a lot harder. Loud sounds like a car backfire, balloon popping, electric lawn mower, or vacuum could leave me hysterical. Other sounds that bothered me were echoes, or the same noise overlapping a bunch of times (discovered after enrolling me in tap class).

For me dealing with it involved repetition with expectation. By that I mean that if someone was vacuuming or mowing the lawn that I was told. I went to a summer camp that used a firework display as an intro. First time I was hysterical, second time I refused to enter. Third time I covered my ears. By my sixth year at that summer camp I was fine as long as I was braced properly for it. I guess I learned to expect it as well as deal with it so I could be ‘normal’

But some sounds still get me, a balloon popping or car backfire can still leave me in states of high anxiety (I actually get nervous if there are even balloons in the room)
Cookiecrush is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, RoxanneToto, SybilMarie, zapatoes