View Single Post
dsmith

Member Since Mar 2015
102 hugs
given
Default Jun 20, 2020 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
What was it? Like many of us, I have been on a bunch. Probably the worst for me, though, overall, has been Naltrexone--an opiate antagonist I had to take a million years ago. Had the worst psychosis of my entire life--and that is saying something. Just hideous. I know it is a life saver, but not good for me.
Hi bpcyclist - I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with Naltrexone. I just started taking it about 5 days ago. What did you take it for? I started it because I had two major addictions:
* Alcohol
* Sugar

At 5pm every day it was like a Pavlovian signal: I would crave a gin and tonic or 10. Then after dinner, I would finish off with about 4 or 5 cookies or half a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

Every session my therapist would suggest Naltrexone to help control my cravings. It was like that movie Groundhog Day. Each week I would come in with the same complaint: I've been trying to keep my intake of sugar and alcohol under control, but having no luck. I kept resisting adding another medication to the mix, insisting that I wanted to try to it "naturally," whatever the hell that meant. I finally came to my breaking point after a weekend spent in total disorientation and fog. I could barely move. Weekdays were actually more enjoyable b/c I had many routine tasks to keep me occupied.

I think we both got fed up after a year and a half of the same routine. I finally relented. So far I love it: night time comes and I just don't have the cravings I used to. Previously, they'd get super intense on Friday nights and I'd polish off a bottle of wine followed by a full pint of Ben and Jerry's.

I'm also taking Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Atorvostatin, and Benadryl at night to help me sleep. Let's see what happens. I'll tell you that I'm willing to try anything after suffering through 3 years of hellish addiction. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for sharing.

Medications:
Lamictal
Lyrica
ECT - once / month
dsmith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, bpcyclist, Goforward

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist