Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 20, 2020 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy72 View Post
Is it "Unintentional Neglect" if "both" parents are diagnosed as Mentally Ill?

My Dad was Schizophrenic (on Thorazine and Stelazine (sp).

My Mom wasn't diagnosed until I was about 23, or so.
She was diagnosed as Depressed with some Paranoia.
Then, later on, she was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizo.

My parents never showed their emotions, except for their fighting with each other. If they didn't like something that I did, they would "alwas" send me to my room; sometimes for long periods of time. I found that "very" odd as a kid. I tried talking to them (both), about things in life, like "my feelings" on their fighting, or on things happening to me, and they just shut me out. We NEVER discussed any "feelings, or emotions, and how to deal with them, either together, with one parent, or both. Oh, I'm an only child, so all I had was my friends to talk to.
I know (now), that they did the best that they could, at the time. I told my Mom that when I was in my 40's and she told me that she never thought about it, that way.
Both of my parents have passed away, but I loved them, for who(m), they were regardless.
If neither parent is capable themselves & don't have a clue how to be a parent because they have serious issues if their own, it can't very well be intentional toward you. Sometimes the best we can do is love them for who they are.

Both my parents were dysfunctional. I loved them but growing up, I did very little with them because it was embarrassing to be around them with other people. I could deal with them much better when not living with them. Wasn't until after they both died & I was in my 50's that I figured out what the causes of the dysfunctions were & could work on correcting how it had effected me

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote