View Single Post
WovenGalaxy
Magnate

Member Since Sep 2019
4,842 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 25, 2020 at 11:19 AM

I was wondering why you think you will regret ending this friendship? Is it because you will occasionally still see them? Do you think you would miss this person? I was also wondering if by "end the friendship" you mean in a direct way? Like actually saying something to this person? I wonder if you can just decide you don't want to be friends with this person anymore, and not engage with them, except to say "no I can't hang out." That might make it easier for you. Though it also might make it harder, because you guys may still end up talking, hanging out, etc, because it's not official. And they might ask you if something's up. I'm just wondering about your hesitation.

Coming from someone who has ended a few friendships in her lifetime, it can be a mixed bag. It can also be very empowering to end a friendship that is no longer serving you, is hurting you, and just brings you more pain than joy. I'd like to tell you a little about my own experiences in this realm. Maybe it will help you decide. 1.) I once ended a friendship with someone who I have regretted ending it with. This was during a time in my life though, when I was unhealthy, not in recovery, and unable to express communication in a helpful way for both sides, etc. You do not seem like you are in that sort of headspace, Discombobulated. You seem very level headed, and like you've thought about it a lot. I myself was pretty impulsive about ending that friendship. 2.) I ended a friendship once a few years ago, more recently. With someone who I do not regret ending it with, to this day. It was an empowering experience and I did it in a way that was kind, as well as put up a boundary. I also said "I need space right now" etc, because I think I may have been feeling like you. Unsure about "Forever" ending it. It turned out to be a great decision. This person had issues to work on (Nothing wrong with that). They were mean to me, inappropriate, rude, and said hurtful things, all mixed in with the enjoyment of friendship and good times, too. Anyway, I felt it was a good decision and still do. This person tried to contact me multiple times in the beginning. They called me, left a couple messages, and tried to friend me on facebook. I had just had enough. I was in a tough place back then because I was dealing with deep depression. It was sort of easy then, once I saw I needed to take care of my mental health, and that what they were saying and doing to me was not OK (I don't care that they had issues to work on, such as their own mh issues, it's no excuse to treat someone poorly), to say goodbye. 3.) Even with that one friendship, Discombobulated, that I ended, where I felt some regret, they were not kind to me either. In the end, I realized that we were just not a good fit anymore, and I'd just regretted the way I'd communicated. Sometimes, someone comes into our lives for a season. They don't stay forever.

You deserve to be treated well by your friends. You deserve to be around people who make you feel good. You are worthy of that. And you are a good person. Thoughtful. Level. Kind.

Of course do what you feel is right, best, comfortable, safe, etc. I hear you about being afraid to end this friendship, and also really disliking the way they speak to you. Sending you hugs.

Edit: I just saw that you posted before me. Yes please do what is best for you.
WovenGalaxy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3, Discombobulated

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Discombobulated, Open Eyes, RoxanneToto, TunedOut