View Single Post
Anonymous43372

Default Jun 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM

Aren't you afraid that the EMDR will bring up all of that childhood trauma? Why I don't trust EMDR as a therapy technique, is that it's like the therapist gives the patient the tool to open the door to their past trauma, but then leaves the patient alone to deal with that past trauma by themselves.

I find EMDR to be a very irresponsible form of therapy. You can't reprocess past trauma. EMDR is the worst form of therapy for trauma treatment, I believe. I believe EMDR increases a person's disassociation from their trauma and further damages their psyche as a result. I think EMDR can cause people to experience massive panic attacks or worse, bouts of rage and crying. I don't view EMDR as a whole-brain healing system. I view it as an antagonizer.

If you really want to safely and effectively deal with your childhood trauma so that it doesn't create havoc on you autonomic nervous system (giving you panic attacks, worse depression, fits of rage), then I would ask you to consider alternative methods of therapy like cognitive behavior therapy, or dialectical behavioral therapy or even self-regulated therapy for PTSD.

I just view EMDR as a misleading and dangerous therapy technique. It's like, giving a patient a stick and telling them to poke the hornet's nest without giving the patient any protective clothing to keep them from getting stung and having an allergic reaction. I hope it works for you.

I urge you to reconsider other forms of therapy that are more whole-brain-body based as EMDR is not. All EMDR is activates the trauma center of the brain and leaves the patient reeling from those psychological and physiological effects.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist