View Single Post
pliepla

Member Since Oct 2019
70 hugs
given
Default Jun 28, 2020 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrad15 View Post
I can understand you wanting to change who you were. I'd make sure I didn't repeat a lot of the mistakes I made too. Not change the course of history entirely. I would still go to the same college, got the same job, meet the same people I actually do like and who treat me well, and everything else. Just would have avoided certain people and events that, at the time, I got the sense wasn't going to be a good idea but I ignored those gut feelings anyway. I'd give myself a beating too. I was a real idiot to the point of embarrassment.
It is quite hard to explain. It is rather that I'm trying to get in touch with the little piece of myself that still lingers inside. It's the part that had a whole different idea about life. It is also the part that succumbed after 4 years of brute pressure and emotional abuse. I am not mad at myself (anymore), somethimes I think I held out pretty long, but I am mad at my parents for wanting a child and then not wanting to accept that the child did not turn out what they expected in the first place. And mostly for trying to force me into something that would be a burden and prevent me from becoming happy for all my life. And for completely crushing me in the process.

It's a complex thing and most therapists only get it after a month or two. I'm kind of like an avocado: the seed is who I was up to +/- 15 years old and the fruit is what my parents wanted me to be ... I'd like to become just seed. Pfff, finding good metaphores is hard
pliepla is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
rdgrad15