View Single Post
amandalouise
Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 01, 2020 at 10:44 AM

yes most times now therapists can go on a medical data base and see their clients history for mental and medical problems. everything is computerized now.

treatment providers now use two different kinds of computer website data bases.

the first is the inter agency computer system where all clients files are now kept. either the treatment provider or the agency pays for a dictation/ computer company to enter the file in the system. my own treatment provider does his own dictation and file updating after every session and periodically uses one of my sessions for updating the files treatment plans and assessment plans. at this session we have a set of questions on the computer system that I need to answer... do I feel this problem is still an issue, we have you listed as this and that disorders and heres why I think these stay on and these can now come off what do you think, in your own words describe why you are in therapy, in your own words describe whether you feel therapy is progressing or not progressing for you... what do you feel in the next so many months would be a good thing to focus on for your therapy sessions. he also goes through the disclaimers... you are aware that in the USA we do not have to have your permission to contact your other treatment providers, here are the reasons why this agency would do that... you are aware that due to privacy laws we can not tell anyone that may call here such as family or friends that you are a client here...

this inter agency computer system helps the client and therapist keep their sessions on track. many states now hold treatment providers accountable for what goes on in the sessions including things like whether treatment plans are being followed, progress is being made and so forth, this also helps the client because they are part of the process of developing and following the treatment plans. this helps too for when ones treatment provider is on vacation or out of the office or working from a different location. they can at a moments notice get one a computer go to the agencies website where they keep their data base. the therapist logs in and sees the files.

The second computer data base is nation wide where certain information not all of it just the basics are entered into the second data base... name, address, SS number, diagnosis's, allergies, hospitalizations you know the basic information that you as a client have to update every time you go to a doctor. they hand you a paper that says your basic information and ask you to review it to see if anything has changed. or they hand you IPAD and ask you to go through a series of questions to make sure your file is up to date. then that basic information that you your self have approved off goes into a central data base. this is so that say you live in california and you are visiting someone in nebraska and you have a problem. the treatment providers in nebraska can type in your name and ss number and see you have an allergy to such and such or you have PTSD and can treat the problems accordingly. basic continuity of care stuff.

with covid 19 and treatment providers having to work form their homes or remote locations due to shut downs so forth most clients now know that their treatment providers can use their home computers to access their office files and scheduling systems.

more and more treatment providers because of the covid 19 shut downs and so forth are joining nation wide data bases also, which leads me back to the original posters question..

do treatment providers know you have been hospitalized.

IF they take the time to check both systems the answer is yes
IF the hospital has updated the files on you, the answer is yes
IF at any point in your time with your therapist you have mentioned past hospitalizations then yes then know that present hospitalizations are a possibiliy.

my suggestion is check with your therapist to see if they and the agency they are with keep paper files in some room or if they are part of a computer system / data base. ask them if they get information from your other treatment providers in crisis events, that will answer your question directly related to you.
amandalouise is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote