Buffy01 has no updates.

5 yr Member
9,664 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 01, 2020 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidso View Post
My friend's daughter (13 yrs old) is deaf, but hears a little with hearing aids. I didn't know her when she was younger, so it has taken us time to feel safe together - to communicate as best we can. It's a journey. She is very much her own person, but obviously it's harder to be extrovert unless you can sign with others or know people well.

Your job sounds fairly brutal, and I've had a few brutal jobs despite not being deaf. Is there any place in state that helps people with disabilities find jobs with accommodations.

Please forgive if I'm being naïve about how difficult this is for you but I did an internet search on places where you might find advocacy or supportive networking:
Dealing With Work and Being Deaf - article written in 2018 with resources for finding work, and keeping work.
Facebook networking for deaf people in Arkansas, with links to other Arkansas organisations for deaf people: Arkansas Association of the Deaf - Home | Facebook

Important to have allies: sometimes in life you have to fight when you least feel up to it. When I was very sick indeed and without an income a friend forced me to fight past vomiting, no food, poverty and discrimination: she was absolutely ruthless but I will always thank her or I wouldn't be living an ok life right now.
We have some help but i don't meet the qualifications even though I had severe hearing lost. I called around and asked what kind of training there is for deaf people and was told I didn't meet the qualifications without a reasonable explanations. I called the school for the deaf to see what they could offer? They couldn't help much.

I once had a district manager ripped an application out out of my hand because I had mention of my hearing disability and some of job interview I was chewed out because I had applied to a job and was told inc couldn't be hired because they is no work place for deaf people especially because I am on disability. I don't sign very well however because of my disability I was able to help with deaf customer because I could lip read. Mostly the corporation feel than I might cause the company to be sued if i were to get hurt.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote