View Single Post
callingforthesun

Member Since Mar 2010
Default Jul 03, 2020 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimage View Post
For me, when I was drinking, it served 3 purposes - to take away my near constant anxiety, to numb out so I didn't have to feel my emotions, and finally to feel "normal". By the time I quit, I was drinking so much, that I need alcohol in my system just to feel normal and function.

I knew it was bad for me, but I kept chassing that initial few moments of relaxation I'd get after a couple of drinks, but it never stopped there.

It sounds like you might be at a similar point.

I'd encourage you to talk with your Dr. about your concerns, and arrange to safely detox. They can give you meds that will help with the detox and keep you from having a seizure. And then I'd strongly urge you to seek out a treatment program, either residential or outpatient.

I also think it's important to have IRL support when quitting. There's AA, but there's also SMART Recovery, which I've heard a lot of good things about, and if you're female, Women for Sobriety, which is my program of recovery.

Admitting you may have a problem, is the first step on the road to recovery, so keep asking questions.

Please keep us updated on how it goes.

splitimage
that sounds just like me... the reasons for drinking...

fortunately I don't have to detox because I wasn't drinking every day... I'd binge maybe once a month or so... I'd always feel like **** the next day and feel ashamed and more anxious so I wouldn't drink more... maybe I would have if I wasn't sure it would wreck my life...

this past time... when I was blacked out I apparently screamed some really personal **** about my partner while we were fighting (to just be an asshole? I don't even know why)...loud enough for someone in the downstairs apartment to text us... so I embarrassed and humiliated both of us as well as deeply hurting my partner... I am now so ashamed, depressed, regretful...I don't know how to come back from this. I want to hide my face for the rest of my life. all because I thought I could binge a bunch of beers and be able to handle it
callingforthesun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist