Legendary

Member Since Sep 2019
40.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 05, 2020 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzclar View Post
I've lived with depression for at least 15 years, if not longer. I let that title influence my actions. And I know I'm not alone.

I am a person, not just an illness, or a term. We are given labels that are harmful, that keep us stuck. I choose not to be stuck, I need to undo programming that society has influenced.

I grew up with misinformed ideas, I wish there was more freedom to talk, instead of going mute, and submissive. Now I live in that same environment, and my image of myself is split into two parts. I want to open up, but I'm scared of the repercussions. In my family we don't talk about some topics, and it's keeping me stuck. I wish I could move out, but I don't have the money. I'm not on disability, I don't want to let how I was raised influence my present, but it does, everyday.

I am fighting myself on goal setting. I see the changes, but I'm listening to the fear. Faith in myself, not fear of the consequences. I can accomplish what I choose, I can make changes. And each change happens daily, if not every minute.
One little step at a time, puzz. One step at a time. Good for you!!!!!

I have learned over the years that, while there are many non-mentally ill persons who are full of empathy for us, there are also quite a few who lack information and are therefore, really, of no benefit to us should they learn of our illnesses. They just cannot do it. Some will discriminate as well. So, I have learned that, despite the fact that I genreally am totally out there with my illness and stuff, I don'tshare it with everyone. I try only to do that with folks I know to be fairly supportive of our situation. I learned this the hard way after suffering discrimination in the workplace.

Hugs!!!!!!!1

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
mote.of.soul