MsLady
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2020
360 hugs
given
Default Jul 06, 2020 at 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegal View Post

During this time my bf and 12 yr old foster daughter grew close corresponding over social media..

Now that he has moved in I get an uncomfortable feeling when we are all in a room together because they are always messaging and sending pics to each other and looking back and forth at each other.

I would always read their messages .. but they have been messaging a lot on snapchat also and I can't read those messages since they disappear.

He recently told me he was molested as a child and how much stuff like that disgusts him but now i worry that maybe that experience has left him not knowing proper boundaries.

I hope he is just showing her extra attention and support because she lacks a father figure in her life, but he treats her much differently than my other 2 children.

It is odd to me how he stops what he is doing everytime she walks in the room and gives her his full attention. He is always asking about her when she goes to visit her grandparents and always checking her social media. He also seems overly concerned when she doesn't respond to him on social media and worries he did something to make her mad..

I have no reason to believe it aside from the uncomfortable nagging feeling I keep getting. Am I just being overprotective of her? Or should I be concerned with their extra close relationship?
I would absolutely think there's a boundary issue going on, at the very least. How does this guy get so much access to this girl via social media? He has crossed lines and is not at all relating to her like a father figure. He's coming off more like a boyfriend to her. Why private messaging if they live in the same house? And this began just prior to him moving in? Red flag.

He was molested as a child, himself? Red flag.

Snap chat? Red flag.

I would start seeing a couple's therapist, asap, to address parenting boundaries. Listen to your nagging gut. Something is off. I worry there's a bit of "grooming" going on. Look into that for early signs.

He should not be favouring one child over the others. I'm concerned with you.
MsLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, winter4me