View Single Post
Anonymous45521

Default Jul 08, 2020 at 06:54 AM

So it is looking like the fit blood test at least for while.
- the fit blood test is about 80% sensitive and importantly 90% accurate not giving you false positives.
- I actually forgot I have had one already in 2017 and it was negative.
- The test is so cheap you can get one every year (and since you don't have to buy it through your doctor I feel like may be I can do it on my own)
- I saw a tid bit that gastro doctors prefer this one (if you aren't going to do a colonoscopy) because it can be done every year. Which they think is a much better way to test.
- I can do my own purchased test in June and then do the "insurance paid for" test in December. That way if the december test shows something up and I have to have a colonoscopy -- the colonoscopy will be the next year and I will be eligible for a screening test. (so insurance can't try to stick me with the bill). If the June one comes up positive -- no one will know it exists so the colonoscopy will be my "screening" test for the year.
- The cologuard test has an unfortunately high positive rate. 16 % and if I get that one I will be stuck with the bill for any colonoscopy.
- I do take mass quantities of Vitamin D which has been shown to reduce incidence of colon cancer by 30%. I actually found a 2018 study that said its as particularly more protective in women than men but didn't the exact number of protection.
- I am devoted to Keto / fasting which glucose has been shown to increase the risk of colon cancer (diabetics are more at risk and my grand mom who had it was a diabetic). There was a study done recently showing a switch to diet drinks cut colon cancer patients mortality rates by 50%.
-Some companies are working on a blood test for screening... hopefully that will be ready within the next 5 years.

The problems with the colonoscopy are.
- It is well known not to be able to get to the ascending area of the colon (the right side) no matter how skilled this area is difficult for doctors to really clean out and observe. So you are leaving an area unexamined or poorly examined and then heading off for 10 years without any other testing. The stool test would give you some heads up on right sided polyps or cancer.
- There are risks from the colonoscopy that are just not acceptable for me: for a screening test.
- I have been worried about the alleged increases in younger people getting colon cancer but I found details on that and the vast majority of these younger people getting it are in area's with poverty and no insurance.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady