Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 09, 2020 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
I understand your belief about the drinking, but I caution you to be mindful of blaming yourself for having cancer

I hate to be one of "those" people who says, "Well, my *insert relation here* had cancer, and..."

That said, I will be one of those people. My sister was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, had a double mastectomy (also several lymph nodes removed), chemo, and lived for a full 20 years, despite being a heavy smoker (even during those 20 years).

Cancer is so random, affects people in vastly different ways.
Yes, I agree I shouldn't waste my emotions on why and all that though drinking is one risk factor of a very complex puzzle that they are still trying to understand. Because we lost my mom to pancreatic cancer and I am under 60, they ordered that my BRCA1 gene be dna tested. On average, women with an altered BRCA1 gene have a 50 to 85 percent risk of developing breast cancer by age 70. Their risk of developing ovarian cancer is 40 to 60 percent by age 85. This will be important information for my daughter and sister to know.

And I am sorry about your sister.

Thanks for your prayers and support.
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Breaking Dawn, Discombobulated, happysobercrafter, possum220, Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, happysobercrafter, Travelinglady