Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 11, 2020 at 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val12 View Post
Thanks for these resources! I'll check out neurofeedback as well. I don't know much about it. What made you choose it versus EMDR?
there were a couple of reasons why i didn't choose EMDR. when i had first heard about EMDR, about six years ago, the info i was reading was saying that it was a good trauma modality for single trauma events (i.e.accidents) and not specifically ideal for complex trauma. if there were Ts who were providing it for complex issues, then they needed extensive training for it. where i live, when i started seeking an alternative to talk therapy (five years ago), the only EMDR Ts who were somewhat close, but still a significant distance away, did not have the level of training to do EMDR work with complex trauma.

the main thing that convinced me to seek the neurofeedback was upon reading Seburn Fishers book, Neurofeedback in the Treatment of Developmental Trauma

Neurofeedback in the Treatment of Developmental Trauma | Sebern Fisher

she is a neurofeedback therapist who is mentioned in Bessel van der kolks book, The Body Keeps the Score, in the chapter about neurofeedback. her book resonated for me like no other trauma/therapy book ever has and i found it to be incredibly validating. she absolutely has a deep understanding of developmental trauma and what it's like as a client having to overcome it, including understanding how the strong transference and counter transference can become ignited in the therapeutic relationship and how harmful and damaging the reenactments can become for the client if the T misunderstands (mainly due to incompetence) what is really going on. her book explained exactly what was playing out in my therapy in the relationship with my ex-T and she could explain why this was happening, due to my early trauma, in plain simple english that was understandable for me. but it was reading her stories about some of her clients (clients with CSA, BPD and DID) and how she helped them heal with her neurofeedback protocols, along with doing talk therapy, which provided me hope by seeing how those clients with similar struggles to mine could successfully heal and move forward in life. i was convinced that i needed to at least give it a try because by that point in my life i was close to believing that i really didn't have many other options left to ever healing.
koru_kiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote