FluffyDinosaur
Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2019
31 hugs
given
Default Jul 13, 2020 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca1 View Post
Hi I suspect that I have bipolar 2. I’ve been experiencing very dramatic mood shifts between severe depression and positive/chaotic thinking, and what I think are mixed episodes, but I haven’t actually had reduced sleep or been noticeably more productive than usual. I’m going to see a psychiatrist soon, but I was wondering if anyone in the bipolar thread could give me insight into whether sleeplessness and increased activity are pertinent to being diagnosed as bipolar 2? Or can you have bipolar 2 without those symptoms?
Sleep deprivation and increased productivity are common symptoms, but they are not necessary for a diagnosis. Other symptoms of hypomania can be increased impulsivity and distractability, which can actually impair your productivity. You might start lots of things but get nothing done.

Sleep deprivation can also be more subtle than completely sleepless nights. For instance, you might sleep for 5 hours instead of your usual 9. These sorts of patterns can go unnoticed. A good way to detect them is with a mood chart. But again, it could also be that you don't have reduced sleep at all and still fit the bill enough to get diagnosed.
FluffyDinosaur is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, Rick7892