View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 13, 2020 at 02:36 PM

Be very cautious. Be sure divorce is truly what you want and need. I'm not going to write out a whole story for you, but I will tell you that my husband and I have been married for 33 years. 16 years into the marriage we all but hated each other. So we separated, but continued raising our teen children together. We were both in other relationships. Then the kids went away to university, the other relationships felt weird and ended.

Now my husband is 73 and I am 57. He's in great health; I'm not, so much. We've let bygones be bygones and have come to realize that we are not only dear friends, but the reality is, we need each other for practical reasons.

Forming new relationships, whether with friends or romantic partners, would be pretty difficult at this point in our lives. We both have our long-time friends, and what's left of our extended families. We cherish those.

I don't know what your financial situation is, or how you feel about strangers caring for you, should you have serious health problems that require assistance.

If you have children makes a big difference, I think, as opposed to if you do not have kids.

At this point in life I am immensely grateful that we didn't divorce when we came with an inch of doing so 16 years ago. I have known couples who divorced after two or more decades of marriage and it never did turn out well for them. I seriously cannot think of any who ended up better off. That's my experience, anyway.

Unless there's frank abuse, I'd think long and hard about whether divorce is a wise move. Perhaps separation first would be smart?

Just some thoughts.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote