Legendary

Member Since Jan 2018
22k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 14, 2020 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emayham View Post
I have no education in sociology or psychology and would appreciate some insight from those who are. I am trying to put a balance to the tension between this article:How to Avoid Being a Victim and victim blaming. I understand fully that we cannot control anothers person's choices and actions against us. But yet do we not own some responsibility to do our part to avoid becoming victims just as the article suggests?
Just going by what you've said here (I haven't read the article) it's always good to take responsibility, precautions, for ones safety and security to lessen the chances of becoming the victim of negative deeds or crimes, sure. But to go to the further extent of actually blaming oneself and the apparent victim for the harmful actions of an abusive person or a violent offender - no, you have to draw the line there. The responsibility falls on the person committing the harmful deed, not the recipient or victim.

Like a lot of things there might be a grey area in there somewhere too, but that's my basic understanding of it. It's called being a 'victim' for a reason.