View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,643 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 15, 2020 at 06:15 AM

I am concerned that he doesn't understand the magnitude of what's happened. He has been making a serious effort, and he's trying hard. He's been on his best behavior, and he's noticeably making changes in how he responds to me (for the better).

But last night it seemed like he wanted me to forget all that's happened, and just trust him at his word that it won't happen again. He doesn't understand that he had promised me before we married that he would never raise his voice at me again, then broke that promise at least a dozen times. I had to remind him this morning that it's going to take time to rebuild trust, and that it won't happen overnight just because he's on his best behavior. I told him I need to see over time that his actions match and back up his words. I also reminded him that it's going to take time to heal what has already happened, and that it will take the help of a professional counselor.

He thinks that everything should be OK now that he seems to have had this epiphany. He doesn't seem to grasp that I cannot do a 180 degree turnaround that quickly. He needs to understand and absorb that this is going to take time... both changes in him, and changes in me. He needs to earn my trust again.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3