View Single Post
Jruck504

Member Since Jul 2020
Default Jul 21, 2020 at 03:48 PM

Good afternoon, I am a 35 year old male who was diagnosed with depression and anxiety yesterday during my first meeting with a therapist. He prescribed me 10mg of prozac to take daily. If you can, please read my experience and if you have any words of encouragement or help I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll start out by saying I am terrified of taking medication. When I was a teenager, I was heavily into drugs. MDMA, Acid, Pills, etc.. It was when I turned 20 that I had my first panic attack. I thought I took too much hydrocodone and I googled "Can you overdose on hydrocodone" the google results sent me into my first panic attack (which I didnt know at the time). I thought I was dying lol. Ever since then, the thought of taking medication gets my anxiety sky high.

The only medication I have gained enough confidence to take is Indomethacin for my gout flare ups. Even with that, I have to take it right before bed and go to sleep immediately so I don’t have a full blown panic attack. My issue is I am afraid of feeling the medicine "kick in" (which it doesn’t). I guess all of those younger years of taking drugs that do "kick in" and the panic attack I eventually experienced on one of them is why I am so terrified of medicine.

I'm unsure if any of this makes sense or if I am explaining this correctly but I hope someone out there understands what I am going through. Back to the Prozac, I am terrified to take it. I'm worried it will "kick in" and I'll feel high or extremely different as I am always on high alert on how my body feels. I’m scared I’ll feel artificial and this will send me into a downward spiral of anxiety which will cost me my job. I have a wife and a newborn who depend on me so the thought of that scares me.

Thank you if you took the time to read this as I know it’s a lot.
Jruck504 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, Open Eyes, Thirty shades, Toughcooki

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist