Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,643 hugs
given
Default Jul 22, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
It’s important to be supportive of one’s spouse. But it’s also important to have other forms of support like therapy and friends and perhaps other family members.

It’s hard to tell how much support is enough and how to meet everyone’s needs, I think balance is important and it just comes naturally etc

Also timing matters. Not defending your husband but if we go on a date to a restaurant I personally don’t want depressing talk and I don’t want one after a work day. Sometimes timing is important. Of course if a person is never supportive and expects you be happy jolly at all times, then it’s a problem. Or if they mope a lot themselves but then don’t allow their partner to complain it’s a problem

We had so much illness and deaths and other disasters in our families since we’ve met that we’d never make it if we didn’t support each other in hardships. Having said that, when I am out on a date, I am there to have a good time and I don’t want to listen to sad stuff (unless it’s emergency). I’d rather that conversation happen later on.

Again not saying you shouldn’t share something sad. Just giving a different perspective
Thanks so much. It's something for me to think about, especially the timing piece. I do rely on other sources for support too, but I think your point about timing is legitimate and something I could consider in the future. I apprecIate the different perspective.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote