Crowned "The Good Witch"

Member Since Jun 2009
1,318 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 22, 2020 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlady View Post

Lark, thank you for stepping up and caring for Doc. I know you have too much on your plate as it is. Thanks for caring for Doc. I remember how hard you worked to prove you could care for Evie. Their comments to you about you not being capable of caring for a dog are bitterly ironic.

Would your parents be willing to pay someone to come in and help Doc burn off some energy? You could frame it in terms of training him.
Thank you, LL. I just don't know how far this is going to lead to if I start picking up more and more slack.

Doc and I have a very special connection. I see myself and him walking and interacting the way Cesar Millan wrote about in his books as the ideal relationship between owner and dog...I read a lot of dog books, most by Cesar Millan, to prepare for the puppy. Cesar talks a lot about energy and nonverbal communication--and we have that. The past two walks we had, we moved as one unit with very little spoken commands, he just knew by my energy and simple tugs on the leash how he needed to behave. And with my parents in the house, he's rambunctious and running around like a maniac getting into trouble, but when he's alone with me, he's quiet and still and obedient.

I worry that I'll eventually take over the dog, but is that really a bad thing? If my picking up the slack and my parents see how we interact may make them see he is a better fit with me, but I do not have the financial ability of taking care of a dog and I need to focus on graduating next June. So I feel at a loss as to what to do.
LiteraryLark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote