View Single Post
seesaw
Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 22, 2020 at 01:55 PM

Just want to give you some tips, as a border collie owner myself, and the owner of two high energy breeds.

First, he is young, like Lizardlady said, so he is still a puppy with puppy energy. He needs to be trained. Border collies do just fine in apartment homes and with a couple of walks a day, IF they are properly trained and get their brains exercised.

What kind of "training" is your mom doing? Not saying this is you, but a lot of people think yelling a word at a dog a number of times is training, or their training ends at "sit" and there is no real training beyond that. Are you doing reward based training? Clicker training? I'm sorry to put up this red flag, but Cesar Milan is the worst dog trainer on the planet, so I wouldn't go with his stuff. He has no credentials, he was just a tv personality - sort of like the current president. Check out Susan Garret - Wag Nation. Susan is a champion agility dog trainer and world renowned for positive rewards based training. Her program Wag Nation is set up for people with little training expertise and is founded in research. Also Karen Pryor has an extensive free resource library online.

Please, whatever you do, do not follow anything anyone says about dominance theory, alpha dog BS, or that dogs are like wolves. That was all debunked back in the 80s. Simple tugs on the leash are not teaching him anything - and are force plus training, whereas you will have a better relationship and better training results to go with force free. A leash tug merely interrupts a behavior you don't like with a punishment, but he will not make the association for what. Do you reward him after he responds to the leash tug properly? Force plus training has to be done in a very specific way to achieve the outcomes you want. Otherwise you will always be doing the leash tug - and if you always do the leash tug, then the dog isn't trained. He didn't learn anything.

Dogs don't speak or think in English. They do not understand what "no" means. They don't understand "don't do that". They need specific commands that have been associated through exposure to an action, to redirect them. So if you don't want your dog to bark at other dogs, for example, you would train him to do something else - an actual action - when he is in the situation where he wants to bark.

Wag Nation is video based and I think it's like $10 a month. However, Susan Garrett has numerous blogs and free videos on training that can show you how to train Doc to behave the way you want him to.

I hope this helps. I think you have it in you to train Doc - border collies and heelers are super smart and they want to use their brains. And through training, you will grow closer to him and have those close bond you want.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LiteraryLark, lizardlady, unaluna