Christmas cookie

Member Since Nov 2019
58 hugs
given
Default Jul 22, 2020 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convalescence View Post
Hi there.

I have came across people who treat my trauma insensitively. I’m rather blessed because it does not happen often. I don’t know any particular advice on how to deal with these people, but I would advise that those who don’t understand and especially those who disrespect you do not deserve to be within your presence. Trauma is a very real thing and has a very real way of warping your reality.

It doesn’t hurt either to be upfront about how disrespectful people are about your trauma either. It’s okay to stand up for yourself!

It sounds as if you have already taken steps to proactively distance yourself from those people. That’s totally awesome!
Thanks! I quit seeing the insensitive doctor. Unfortunately due to shortage in this specialty, he participated in my recent surgery. I'm hoping my follow up with him will be one time only. The other surgeon is away so hopefully the rest of my followups (2) more will be with him.

I am learning to cut out disrespectful people who are not supportive or rude. The trauma has warped my sense of reality. I assume everyone I meet will think I'm damaged, not good or weird. I do not go around telling everyone of my past. If I choose to share even a small amount of info I automatically brace for bad treatment. It took one life and death situation to realize maybe I should not worry. Instead of feeling sensitive, its more anger now regarding rudeness.
Christmas cookie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote