Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 22, 2020 at 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteraryLark View Post
What I am asking is not how to train the dog or the speculation of Cesar Millan's credentials. I need to know what line I draw on with my involvement with the dog. My mom, a mere five minutes ago, slammed the door on me--my own bedroom door--because I allowed the dog into my room and grab a piece of plastic from my trash bin, and I did nothing to stop it. I am tired of taking responsibility for a dog I was denied for being "mentally unfit" for puppy raising, and yet I am going out of my way to take care of the dog MY WAY when I should not at all be this involved. I am fed up and I don't know what to do.
I'm sorry, LL, I went straight to "LL needs this dog and she can have this great relationship" I skipped over what your real question was. I apologize for that.

I'm torn because you are aware the dog needs help and care, and your parents arent taking care of him. At the same time I dont think you should be picking up for their slack and not taking care of him.

Um, where did they get Doc? Could you notify the rescue or breeder of the issue? A lot of rescues or breeders will intervene if this is an issue.

Definitely you have to put your foot down. I would stop short of anything beyond basic care. If the dog is driving them crazy, maybe let him drive them crazy until they realize he needs a home where he will be happy?

Unfortunately not training or exercising a dog (unless it's causing severe obesity) isnt really considered abuse or even neglect.

I know how hard it is to put your foot down though, when you clearly care and want the best for him. Maybe this isnt the best idea, but can you find him a new home without telling them? I know that idea will get a lot of resistance, but...well, you know the situation.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote