View Single Post
comrademoomoo
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2019
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 23, 2020 at 06:50 AM

I find it strange that people are very keen to claim that their therapist is their true self in session. How would a client know? By definition, a client only experiences a therapist as a therapist. We have no idea what they are like in private or with peers, and hopefully we have no idea what their sexual, political or familial self is like. We should not have access to all aspects of a therapist's self. It seems that people want to confidently say that their therapist is their real self as evidence that the relationship is real or "truly" compassionate. Relationships can have limits and therapists can be partially hidden from us, it doesn't mean that the work is any less authentic or valuable.

So, I experience my therapist as relatively genuine and authentic (partly because she also shows her darker sides such as shouting or crying, I don't consider this professional or helpful behaviour, but that's another story). However, I don't experience her real self since it is a partial self. And I am ok with that.
comrademoomoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous45504

Thanks for this!
elisewin, Flinders40, Omers