View Single Post
OftenReflective

Member Since Jul 2020
Default Jul 24, 2020 at 11:24 AM

Hey all, I'm new here and wanted to ask some questions. I'm posting about weapons and combat experiences, not sure how to warn the best way but I wanted to mention it here. Some of my background is having a troubled childhood, and then I am also a combat vet with mild tbi's from close proximity to explosives which is the cause of most of my issues I think. I have done emdr to moderate effect, and have really practiced grounding techniques, along with treating my symptoms with meds. Even so, I still avoid stuff and am often hyper-vigilant, which brings me to my experience today.

I have currently been up for a long time, going on 24 hours. Sleep problems are still the norm though my nightmares have lessened in frequency and intensity. Regardless I was feeling good this morning and decided to go to the gun range early since I have a sidearm I have not fired in years and I at least needed to make sure it works. (I was not sleep deprived at this point btw).
It has been about a decade since I last was firing weapons. I have been avoiding this for literally years. I know I will be having a little stress but I don't expect what follows.

I get to the range and it is quite busy. I have a paper cardboard target stand I have never used. I have trouble putting it together. I notice immediately upon trying to get setup I'm having a lot of anxiety, more than I usually do even when I'm usually triggered. I end up having to rig up the target in a unusual way but it works.

I go to start shooting and BAM I start having a panic attack, almost throw up, tunnel vision, hyperventilating. I start deep breathing techniques and focusing on the breath. I send about 30 rounds down range changing my mags and loading them, so still functioning but barely. I feel like I'm getting shot at again. I decide I need to leave when my target falls over from my last shot and pick up my stuff and I leave shaking.

So, my questions follow: Is it typical to have such strong recurrence of such strong reactions? Can new symptoms occur, after treatment? Should I expect to never be fixed? And finally, I was thinking of going there more often to expose myself to the range, but in smaller doses. Maybe I will just sit in the car for a while. Then actually go to shoot. IDK.

I know I'll never be back to my pre-trauma self, but I didn't expect to have such a reaction to being at the range. Thanks for any replies and I hope you have a good day.
OftenReflective is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes