View Single Post
fern46
Grand Magnate

Member Since Mar 2019
4,300 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 28, 2020 at 01:33 PM

So I am about to toss out what my intuition thinks. I haven't backed this up with anything, but I like physics, so here we go...

I think the fat acts as an insulator for the brain the same way insulators work in electrical circuits. It separates the conductors and keeps things flowing properly without major loss of heat. When we have conditions that cause an abnormal increase in activity the fat in our brains is used heavily. When we are depressed, our brains slow down and the fat is used less and less to create new neurons and pathways.

Now... If you've ever seen what happens to oil that is reused at McDonalds it isn't pretty. It gets super crudded up. So imagine that happening in your brain. Manic like activity occurring heats up the fat over and over and it becomes less oily and more like blockages. The same thing happens in your brain when you consume lots of saturated fats. It is less like oil and more like sludge.

Studies have shown taking fish oil increases neuroplasticity. My theory is it replenishes the used up fat and keeps things flowing smoothly. I think it assists during mania because it keeps the oil from crudding up during rapid fire. I think it helps during depression because it helps to keep stagnant oil from blocking up our circuits and helps aid in the production of new pathways.

When you reuse cooking oil too many times it creates free radicals that are nasty little chemicals that cause inflammation and even cancer. What is fish oil supposed to do? Fight inflammation. Anyway, keeping the oil refreshed and non-saturated is key.

I take it. The bottle days 3 pills is 1200mg EPA and 900mg DHA. I only take 2 pills a day though. It just makes sense. Go burpless. Worth the extra few bucks.
fern46 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, bpcyclist, Nammu